Why This Could Be Mikel Arteta’s Last Season As Arsenal First Choice DM

One area almost every Arsenal fan is clamouring for Wenger to strengthen is the striking position but I believe another equally important position is the defensive midfield. This season, Arsenal had just Flamini and Arteta manning the position. The Frenchman has been more of a back-up to the former Toffee, I wonder why? But it seems Wenger doesn’t want to keep both his captain and his vice on the bench.

That has it may, Arteta has let Arsenal down this season. Against Liverpool and Chelsea, he was horrendous to say the least. I don’t blame him entirely because he is not a natural defensive midfielder. He is at best an attacking midfielder and at worst a second defensive midfielder in a double pivot (box to box midfielder) but Wenger converted him into an anchorman and that hasn’t worked well this season.

We cannot afford to go into next season without correcting this mistake. He has 2 years left on his contract, it might not be renewed but doubt if Wenger would sell him this summer. I also believe he can still do a good job against small teams but against the big teams, he is just not good enough to anchor Arsenal’s midfield.

What then is the solution? Arsenal should go for a natural midfield enforcer. It is good that the club has been linked with moves for Leverkusen’s Lars Bender and Southampton’s Morgan Schnerderlin. Both men are more at home in that defensive role. Let Arteta move to his natural role of box to box midfielder. There he has huge battle on his hands competing with Ramsey and Wilshere but the more the merrier.