5 Low Points Of The Just Ended Season

With the English Premier League coming to an end last Sunday, and Man City crowned as the 2013/2014 Champions, it is time to look back at those low moments as regard Arsenal.

The loss to Villa

Our league opener against Aston Villa left us with bad feelings at least until we started winning again. It was a match that most Arsenal fans were expecting nothing short of victory, but that was not to be as Villa ran away victors that afternoon. Thousands of fans who went to the Emirates that afternoon called for the sack or resignation of Wenger, and the fact that we had only signed Yaya Sanogo at that time didn’t help the boss.

Transfer window failure

Perhaps, Arsenal could have ended the season as Champions if our transfer dealings had gone according to plans. Arsenal signed Mesut Ozil on the last day of the summer transfer window, but in truth we could have done better than we did.

We made a mess of the Suarez situation, chasing after his signature for the better part of the summer window without success. Arsenal put in a cheeky bid of £40 Million + 1 quid, which infuriated the Liverpool hierarchy, and further ruined our chances of signing the Uruguayan last summer. It was a summer that also saw us chase after Gonzalo Higuain of Real Madrid for months on end.

In January, instead of remedying the mess of the summer, we made it even messier by ending the window without signing any striker. Our only signing was Kim Kallstrom who was an injured loan signing.

Injuries to key players

It would seem that with Arsenal, injuries to key players have become a norm. While injuries to players cannot be ruled out during the course of a football season, Arsenal’s case is a bit different with players sustaining various injuries in virtually every match played in the last ten months. Arsenal had as many as five or six key players out injured between December 2013 and March this year, which affected our season.

As a matter of fact, our season started falling apart when we lost players like Aaron Ramsey and Theo Walcott to injuries. Walcott’s injury meant that the team had to play without pace, and this affected the contributions of a player like Mesut Ozil.

Arsenal struggled against the big teams

Arsenal could only garner five points out of a maximum eighteen against the big teams of Liverpool, Chelsea, and Man City, which is not good enough for a team hoping to win the title. Against a very poor Man United side, the club could only come out with a draw at the Emirates after losing 1-0 in the reverse fixture played at Old Trafford.

Arsenal’s loss to Napoli

Arsenal almost crashed out of this season’s Champions League group stage against Napoli in a match they only needed a draw or a low score line to qualify. If we had won or drawn that match, we would have avoided Bayern in the second round.

Hopefully, we can end the season on a high by winning the FA Cup trophy this Saturday.