Why Pedro And Alexis Sanchez To Arsenal Make Sense

Separate rumours linking Arsenal with the signing of two Barca front men, Pedro and Sanchez have started gathering pace as the English press seem to have taken a cue from the Spanish media.

Only on Monday, Italian sports site, Tuttosport gave us a further insight into the stories, claiming that Arsenal were set to blow Juventus out of the way with a bid of €25 Million for the Chilean international who has scored 18 goals in 31 appearances for Barca this season.

We take a look at what both players could bring to Arsenal should Wenger succeed in luring them to London this summer.

Alexis Sanchez

25 year old attacking forward who joined Barca in the summer of 2011 from Italian club Udinese, is able to play as a wide man on both sides of the field as well as a secondary striker. Arsenal could do with a player with ability to play in a number of positions upfront. His ability to play as a lone striker upfront also suits our style of play, especially when one takes into consideration the fact that Giroud is the only experienced striker the club has at the moment.

Considering Arsenal’s constant romance with injuries, signing a player like Sanchez will come handy when injuries strike as his ability to play in numerous positions means when other players are out, he can fill in. His signing ( if it happens ) will help ensure Giroud is not over played.

Also, signing Sanchez means we will have more goal scoring outlet. Wenger likes goal scorers on the wing and with 18 goals in 31 matches in the just concluded season, he is sure to get us some goals.

Pedro Eliezer Rodriguez Ledesma

Every football fan is probably more comfortable and familiar with just calling this pacy right winger ‘Pedro.’ With 16 goals in 30 matches for Barcelona this season, this 26 year old Spanish international has 85.1% pass completion rate, and will be a great asset to a team like Arsenal who love to play around with the ball.

The Spanish international is also capable of playing on his own upfront, which will be a massive relief for Arsenal since Giroud is the only player shouldering the responsibility.

Aside from playing on the right side of the field as a wide man, Pedro can also play from the left side of the field, which makes him an attractive option for the Gunners next season. Though, his signing could restrict the contribution of a player like Podoski who is the only Arsenal player who currently plays from the position.

In terms of assists, both players have made 19 to their teammates this season; and this could boost Arsenal’s attack next season.

Should the rumours be true and we end up signing both players, I doubt Wenger will sign any other striker as although both Sanchez and Pedro are no strikers, their versatility will mean they can also play reliably as strikers whenever necessary.