Why Arsenal Should Buy Benzema And Not Carlos Vela

With news of Arsenal’s interest in Karim Benzema and Vela hitting the roof these days, we take a look at which of the two players the club should sign.

Both players have scored a combined 38 goals and made 25 assists this season; not a bad return by any standard. Any of both players will definitely add quality to any team they play for, but every Arsenal fan out there will surely want a Benzema in the squad.

Let’s take a look at what both players can bring to an Arsenal team next season.

Karim Benzema

Karim Benzema has scored 22 goals and provided 13 assists in the La Liga and in the Champions League. If his signing materialize, it means more goals for Arsenal next season especially with a midfield that boasts of players like Ozil, Ramsey, Cazorla, and Walcott.

Benzema’s greatest strength is I counter-attacking football, which could benefit us especially when playing under pressure. The player is also very dangerous in the final third, and his ability to play in killer passes could boost our goal returns next season.

However, he needs to work on his positioning as he is always played offside. The price being quoted in the press is £30 Million, which could be a bit of a problem for Arsenal since the player only has a year left on his contract.

Carlos Vela

Carlos Vela left Arsenal to get his career back on track, and that seems to have worked some magic as reports say he is on his way back to the Gunners after the club activated his £3 Million release clause.

The 25 year old Mexican international has scored 16 goals and provided 12 assists this season, and that is why he has attracted the attention of various clubs including Arsenal. His ability to play as an attacking midfielder, a centre forward, on the left side as well as on the right side makes him an attractive option.

£3 Million is probably a bargain for a player who has vastly improved since leaving the Emirates seasons ago. However, his defensive contributions have not improved since he left, and this also applies to Benzema who also doesn’t help the defence enough.

Both players will vastly improve Arsenal, but regardless of the cost, I would rather we went for Benzema since all we need is a world-class finisher. Although, Vela will be able to play in a number of positions for Arsenal while Benzema can only play as a striker but if Vela failed in his first stint with us, I do not see anything to make me thing he won’t fail a second time.

Although, Benzema has proved with Lyon, France and now Real Madrid that he is a goal scorer of high repute while Vela has only had 2 good seasons with Sociedad, flopped with Arsenal and is just another player with Mexico.