Striker Opens Door To Emirates Switch

Former Arsenal striker Carlos Vela has handed the club a massive boost in their bid to sign a centre forward this summer.

Vela who left Arsenal a couple of seasons ago to join Real Sociedad in the Spanish La Liga has told the press he is open to a return to the Emirates should the Gunners come calling.

The Mexican joined the Gunners in 2005 after an impressive showing for his country at the FIFA Under-17 World Cup, which they won. He was however, unable to make his mark in the first team all through his stay at the club and was even sent out on loan in 2011 before eventually making the move permanent.

Carlos Vela has been in superb form this season, scoring sixteen goals and providing a number of assists for his Spanish club. His blistering form has attracted the attention of Arsenal Wenger who is seriously looking to strengthen the Arsenal squad with a top class finisher this summer. The Mirror reports that Arsenal want to re-sign the 25 year old Mexican and are looking to activate his release clause.

Vela too is keen on the move, and indicated his interest in a recent interview granted to the media:

“During the last two summers, Arsenal were not interested in activating it, so we had no trouble. It makes sense they will activate the clause now,” Vela explained in an exclusive interview granted to the Spanish newspaper El Diario Vasco.

“A club that sees that a player is performing well for three years and has the chance of having him back for just an extra million… (Arsenal received €3m for the 50% of Vela’s rights in 2012) If Arsenal wouldn’t pay that amount they wouldn’t be very intelligent.”

“If we put ourselves in their position we will do the same. Now, we have to analyse what can be done and how it can be done. And after putting everything in order, we will make a decision about my future; trying to choose the best way to be happy.”

“Arsenal gave me the opportunity to come to Europe when I was 17. I didn’t have as many opportunities as I expected and I had to try new chances. If I have to return to London, I will try to make things in a different way in order so that happened in the past won’t be repeated again.”

“Now I speak English. I know what I would find there and what I won’t, so I could handle my return in a different way. But today, I don’t know if I am going to return or not, we will see, it’s a matter of time,” the Mexican striker explained.

The player seems to have matured both in his playing style and of course, in age.