Why Arsenal Will Not Sign Van Persie

Rumours were rife on twitter as well as various newspapers and blogs a couple of days ago that Arsenal were on the verge of bringing back van Persie to the Emirates before the sacking of David Moyes.

While this rumour cannot be verified at the moment, I don’t see why the player would want to return to London considering the fact that his national team manager Louis van Gaal was yesterday named the new Manchester United manager. The former Arsenal captain has a very strong relationship with van Gaal at the national team level, and was recently made the captain of the team.

This kind of relationship that exists between the former Ajax, Barcelona, and Bayern Munich manager and van Persie is a sure indication that the Manchester United striker is set to stay at Old Trafford.

Another reason why van Persie may not move back to the Emirates is due to the frosty relationship that exists between the former skipper and the fans. The fans hate the Dutchman with passion, and are yet to forgive him for ditching the Emirates for Old Trafford two seasons ago. Arsenal fans may not welcome him back, and the fear of what their reactions would be will likely scare him off.

The manner van Persie celebrated scoring against us the last time we played against Man United at Old Trafford is still very fresh on the minds of all Gunners, and that may have finally wiped off whatever good memories the fans have of him.

I don’t see him returning to the Emirates no matter what the attraction is for him.

What do you think? Do you see van Persie returning to the Emirates after ditching the Gunners two seasons ago? Do you think Wenger is really interested in bringing the Dutchman back this transfer window?