Fabianski Is Going, Casillas Maybe?

Arsenal might just have to add a goalkeeper to their shopping list. The Gunners’ FA Cup hero Lukasz Fabianski who is out of contract in the summer is set to quit the Gunners after rejecting a new deal from the FA Cup champions. Unlike his fellow free agent who is leaving Arsenal for purely financial reasons, Fabianski claims his imminent departure is solely for footballing reasons.

That might not be far fetched as all through his Arsenal career, he has been a back up. Initially to former keeper Manuel Almunia then to his younger compatriot Szczesny. The first might not have really hurt but playing second fiddle to his younger compatriot is certainly hard to take. This season, he played in all of the FA Cup matches but that is not enough especially for a goalie that is approaching 30. He would want more than just cup cameo. He would also want league action and that seems impossible at Arsenal with Szczesny around. He knows if he can’t get it at Arsenal, he will get it somewhere else. So no begrudging him for wanting to leave but that means another goalkeeper must be brought in as we are really short in that department. With Fabianski gone and the on- loan keeper returning to his parent club, Arsenal are left with only Damian Martinez as back up to Szczesny. That is way too risky, Martinez might be talented but he is too inexperienced to be thrown into the fray in the EPL or Champions League.

Who are the likely keepers that Wenger can buy? Casillas looks a top name but we might be experiencing a deja vu of the Fabianski saga with Szczesny. Will the Polish keeper be willing to sit on the bench? He knows he is good enough to be number 1 and would hold out for it whether at Arsenal or somewhere else.

What then is the way forward, Wenger should look for a decent keeper, one that would be willing to play back up to Szczesny. I expect the new goalkeeper to be good enough to keep Szczesny on his toes because we need to keep complacency far from him and calm enough to play back up without throwing tantrums.

Szczesny with his 16 clean sheets in the Premier League last season, he has earned the right to start the new season as Arsenal’s first choice. Anyone that wants his place would have to wait for him to slip. A big name won’t wait that long, hence my choice for a decent name like Vorm and Krul.