27 Goals, 14 Assists Last Season, Why Arsenal Should Buy Alexis Sanchez

Arsenal are in the market for a new striker and it’s no surprise that they are been linked to almost every decent striker in Europe a la Benzema, Costa, Mandzukic, Martinez and now Alexis Sanchez. The names on the list will fill any fan with excitement because they are proven quality but the addition of Sanchez to the list gives me a different kind of enthusiasm.

Sanchez has had a mixed career at Barcelona since signing for the Catalans and after a dismal campaign, the Catalans are planning wholesale changes and that could see the Chilean attacker sacrificed. Arsenal are combing Europe for a top striker and it seems the Chilean fits the bill. He is quick, could be lethal sometimes and above all, versatile since he can play through centre as the arrow head of the attack, on either wings or as a second striker in a 4-4-2 formation.

I won’t mind Sanchez. He will certainly cost less than Benzema and does not have the ego of the Frenchman. He might be coming from Barcelona but won’t expect to walk straight into Arsenal’s starting line-up. Should he be deployed on the wings, he will give Arsenal genuine pace on the wings. With Walcott on the right, Sanchez on the left and Ozil behind them, Arsenal will have lightning quick counter attack. Adding Sanchez to Arsenal’s attack will give the Gunners an amorphous attack. Since
the front trio of Walcott, Sanchez and Podolski could switch wings at will.

The argument that Sanchez is off colour and isn’t the calibre of player Arsenal should be buying is unfounded. The fact that a player has had a rough spell at a club doesn’t make him a bad player. When it comes to re-igniting a player’s faltering career, Wenger is a master of the art and I expect him to turn Sanchez into a world beater should he succeed in clinching his signing.