Cesc Fabregas Set To Leave Barca, A Return To Arsenal Maybe?

The bird is gradually coming home to roast. The Fabregas’ saga is unfolding. Reports emerged recently that he could be up for sale but it was dismissed as the usual summer transfer rumour peddled by media outlets. Then, the juggernauts of the football reportage distanced themselves from it but seems there is an element of truth in it as Skysports ( very reliable) have reported that indeed Fabregas is set to leave Barca this summer. The Catalans are playing wholesale changes to their team after recruiting a new manager and looks like the former captain would be one of the lot to receive the axe. In fact another former Gunner (Alex Song) could also receive the axe but he is of no consequence to me and Wenger I guess.

Now that Fabregas is available, where does he end? Certainly, he won’t be short of suitors as the likes of Arsenal, City, Manchester United and who knows Bayern ( because of Guardiola) might throw their hats into the ring to land him.

The good thing is that Arsenal have stolen a march on all other potential suitors after inserting a buy-back clause on the deal that took him to Nou Camp. I strongly believe Wenger is interested in bringing him back after he revealed last summer when the rumour was raging that Fabregas had decided to stay one more season at Nou Camp and now it is looking like it. How did he know if not that he was in touch with Cesc?

In the event of Fabregas returning to Arsenal, who drops out? It has been aired by many pundits that Arsenal don’t need another creative midfielder (Cesc) because they are spoilt for choice already but I disagree with that school of thought. Fabregas is one of the most versatile, intelligent and creative midfielder around. He can play as a auxiliary defensive midfielder, attacking midfielder, box to box midfielder, second striker, as a left winger and false 9. His arrival won’t affect Ramsey or Wilshere as much as is been bandied around. It will only add quality depth to the team. Arsenal don’t have to suffer owing to Ramsey, Wilshere or Ozil’s absence. We did last season and that means we aren’t there yet in terms of quality.

Another issue that’s likely to come up is if Cesc can play with Ozil? Ozil is currently Arsenal’s focal point of creativity but that might change if Cesc arrives. On if they could play together? I bet they can. If Fabregas and Iniesta could play together, then Fabregas and Ozil could also play together. Ozil is a clone of Iniesta and the fact that both men can play on the left wing means they could inter-change at will, making Arsenal’s attack amorphous and difficult to predict.

Arsenal’s need for a striker has been hyped but I dare to sayy that with Fabregas, Arsenal can afford not to buy another striker. The Spaniard can play false 9 perfectly and also the second striker in a 4-4-2 formation. With all these, I say to Wenger, #BringBackCesc