Giroud Confirms He Held Talks With Wenger

Early this year, there was a flurry of contract extensions at the Emirates as key players like Ramsey, Rosicky, Mertesacker extended their stay with the Gunners. They have since been followed by Cazorla and Koscielny. Seems it is the turn of Giroud to also put pen to paper on a long deal.

Here is what the Frenchman said :

“I have two years left on my contract, but we’re in talks to extend it. For the moment, I’m good here. There are some good things to be done.

“I feel at ease in this league. My first season wasn’t too bad, the second was rather good. I hope to do better still. I progress year-on-year, just like the team, which produces great play.”

The Frenchman still has 2 years left on his current deal but has revealed that talks are ongoing over an extension. The implications of this development are far-reaching.

Firstly, it means he is staying at Arsenal. That is certainly a disappointment to those that were hoping he would be returning to France. The French had unfairly received sticks last season with pundits arguing he wasn’t good enough for the Gunners. I disagree that he isn’t good enough for Arsenal but I agree only him can’t lead Arsenal to Premier League and European glory. He needs help and that’s why Wenger needs to bring in another top striker this summer.

His imminent stay also has a far-fetching implication for the striker Wenger would be looking to bring in the summer. The Gunners have been linked with a move for Real Madrid’s French forward Karim Benzema but that looks unlikely with Giroud still in the team. Wenger himself alluded to this when he denied reports of wanting to sign Benzema last season. He simply said it could create unhealthy rivalry in the team if you have two Frenchmen who are constantly at each other’s throats in the national team also doing the same at the club.

I totally agree with Le Prof. Benzema might be talented but his ego would see him clashing too often with Giroud and he is more a competition rather than a complement for Giroud. Just like Giroud, Benzema can only play through the center and with Wenger’s rigidity about the 5-4-1 formation, it means only one of them can start a match. Arsenal might not have a ‘superstar’ like other top teams but what we had going for us last season was the team spirit and harmony in the dressing room. It helped the players pick themselves up after every humiliating defeat. If we must win the Premier League next season, that is something we would have to maintain.

Giroud has earned his right to fight for a place in the first team next season after putting himself in the line all through the season. With this development, Wenger might just be forced to look elsewhere for the new striker.

Fabregas leaving Barca – Report that Sky reported it and then give your opinion on our chances. Discuss where he could play and the impact it is likely to have on Ramsey and Wilshere plus dismiss the thoughts that he can’t play with Ozil – I want it to be your best in recent time. Morata seems to be off to Juve, discuss how it is good news for us.