Why Arsenal Should Sign Samuel Eto’o

Samuel Eto’o who signed a year contract with Chelsea last summer is rumoured to be interested in joining Arsenal for tree this summer according to The Guardian. Few days ago I wrote an article saying we should not sign him but after talking to a friend who is privy to happenings around the club, I am left to believe Wenger is very likely not to spend 100Million in this transfer market hence we may not get a big name striker after all. And to be honest, if we are getting Fabregas back for instance, we really do not need to buy someone BIG in that striking department.

The former Barca and Inter striker has been embroiled in controversies over his real age. His manager, Jose Mourinho was quoted to have made some funny remarks about the player’s age, which angered the Cameroonian international.

“Eto’o is 32 years old, maybe 35, who knows?

Recently, the 33 year old striker was quoted in the media to have used some very strong words against Mourinho, calling him a ‘fool.’ The player was quoted in the press to have said:

“Today, I am 33 years old. And it is not because a fool called me an old man that you must believe it. And you may have noticed that the old man was better than the youngsters,” the player was quoted in The Telegraph.

Eto’o is a free agent, and is free to sign for any club of his choice, but where does he fit in an Arsenal team that also needs a striker?

Wenger is not the type of manager to sign a player well advanced in age, but Eto’o still has some goals in him. The player knows this and was quoted to have declared his intention to continue playing until he the next two FIFA World Cup.

“But I am going to carry on playing because physically and mentally I feel great. So I am going to go to this World Cup and to the next one, when I will be 37. Some did it at 42, so I can still play in two more World Cups.”

Last season, the 33 year old former Inter striker scored 14 goals in 27 appearances for Chelsea, more than any other striker in the team. He is unlikely to displace Giroud due to the age difference, but his addition to the team will give us some depth. Eto’o is a striker that has proven himself in every club he has been to, and players like Morata (if he joins), Sanogo, and Olivier Giroud will benefit from his experience.

Although this is a very unpopular call as most gunners want a marquee and young striker but if signing someone of the experience of Eto’o will allow us have enough money to sign a good defensive midfielder, a winger, Sagna’s replacement and get Fabregas back then I think we should consider it.

Truly, we have 100Million to spend but knowing Wenger, there is a very little chance of he actually spending all of that money and to be honest, Eto’o can’t be bad as a backup even at his age.