Arsenal Receive Major Transfer Blow On Benzema And Di Maria

Arsenal targets Karim Benzema and Angel di Maria are about being offered new deals by Madrid to stop them from leaving the club this summer.

Marca has suggested that Real Madrid president Florentino Perez is eager to sort out new deals for both Arsenal and Manchester United transfer targets. Benzema and Di Maria have both been linked with a move to Arsenal in recent weeks, and this might have prompted the recent move by the Madrid chief.

The Daily Mail reported sometimes ago that the Spanish giant were prepared to listen to offer for Benzema, but the recent report by Marca will no doubt throw spanner in the transfer plans of Arsenal who are looking for a world class centre forward in the class of the Madrid forward.

Arsenal need some stellar signings this summer to fortify the squad, and make the team more competitive. A lot of players have been earmarked by the manager, who recently signed an extension to keep him at in the club for another three seasons.

Shortly after putting pen to paper on a new deal to keep him in the club for the next three years, Wenger revealed his desire to beef up the team with a couple of quality signings this summer window:

“We know we have to have a successful June and July, that’s where you strengthen the team. It’s very important that we are good now in the next two months until the end of August that we can give to the team some more quality and go into next season with the belief we got from [the FA Cup] win,” Wenger was quoted in The Guardian.

Should Marca’s report be correct, then Arsenal are better off turning attention elsewhere in order not to suffer the frustrations of last summer when the entire summer was spent chasing after Luis Suarez and Gonzalo Higuain.

However, should the reports be true and Wenger really wants a marquee striker this summer, then I suggest he tries hard for Cavani. Personally, I rate Cavani higher than Benzema and I believe we can get him if we are ready to pay as much as 40m ( which would have been the price for Benzema anyway ). PSG have been dealt a blow by the hammers of FFP and after signing David Luiz from Chelsea, they will need to recoup some of the reported 40m+ by selling some players and Cavani is definitely one of their more sellable assets.