Arsenal “Offered The Chance” To Sign 30 Goals Striker – Reports

The Daily Mail reports that Arsenal have been offered “the chance” to sign Milan striker Mario Balotelli this summer.

The paper claims the Italian club wants to ship the 23 year old to Arsenal to fund an overhaul of the current squad. The Italian international who has scored 30 goals in 54 appearances for the Serie A club was signed from Manchester City almost two seasons ago, but is no longer enjoying his stay due to racist abuses from fans.

The Emirates sound like the right destination for the 23 year old, especially as Wenger is looking to sign a world class centre-forward in the summer. However, Balotelli’s on and off field antics are well documented and Wenger may have his hands full with the Milan forward if he is signed eventually in the summer. Having said that, considering the hotheadedness of former Arsenal players such as Van Persie, Adebayor, Tony Adams and the likes, Wenger may just be the one to tame Balotelli and help him achieve greatness.

This summer promises a lot for all Arsenal fans as the boss himself recently said. Shortly after signing his new contract, the 64 year old former Monaco manager expressed his determination to build a formidable squad able to challenge for the title next season. He also used the occasion to speak on his transfer plans:

“We know we have to have a successful June and July, that’s where you strengthen the team. It’s very important that we are good now in the next two months until the end of August that we can give to the team some more quality and go into next season with the belief we got from [the FA Cup] win,” Wenger was quoted in The Guardian.

It is difficult to know the mind of the boss at this stage but Balotelli is a big ‘no’ in my opinion. Signing him is going to upset the applecart, and create problems in the dressing room. Yes, I agree Wenger has managed players of similar character in the pass successfully but personally, I would rather not play a gamble with Balotelli. He is not one to shy away from the press, and will always attract unnecessary attention to the club. His talent and quality no one can question, but not his on field and off field problems.

If we must sign 2 strikers (assuming the media is right and we have really signed Loic Remy as is been widely reported ), then we should make an attempt to sign Bony from Swansea. He is cheaper and equally highly reliable.