Wenger Has 100m To Spend, Here Is Why He Must Spend It

Admirers of Arsenal’s French manager were relieved to see him seal a three year extension to his contract due to expire at the end of next month. The 64 year old Arsenal manager kept a lot of people guessing as regards his future plans; and now that the contract situation is sorted, it is the right time for the longest serving manager in the Premier League to plan towards the next three seasons. Wenger needs to strengthen his team, and this summer is an opportunity to do just that.

No excuse from Wenger or the club will be good enough this time around. The balance sheet of the club shows they have more money to spend now and they have been making noise about it, here is their opportunity to actually show they are not “all talks, no action”.

Aside having so much money to spend, the club have the hammers of financial fair play which has fallen on both PSG and Manchester City to help her in their deals. Clubs like City and Chelsea who hitherto spend more money than they earn now have to relax a bit which means Arsenal can compete.

Shortly after his contract extension with the club was announced in the media, the 64 year old former Monaco manager had this to say about his plans for the future:

There are so many players available in the market these days and the club can no longer run with the excuse that there are no value in the market. PSG may end up selling Cavani to balance the books, Jackson Martinez is available, Fabregas is no longer needed at Barca, Gotze seems frustrated at Bayern Munich, Griezmann will be sold at the right price. So many opportunities, opportunities that if missed may not come by for a while again.

“I want to stay and to continue to develop the team and the club,” Wenger said on Friday. “We are entering a very exciting period. We have a strong squad, financial stability and huge support around the world. We are all determined to bring more success to this club.”

The manager also used the occasion to explain his summer plans to all Arsenal fans:

“We know we have to have a successful June and July, that’s where you strengthen the team. It’s very important that we are good now in the next two months until the end of August that we can give to the team some more quality and go into next season with the belief we got from [the FA Cup] win,” Wenger was quoted in The Guardian.

At least the last quotes shows the manager is thinking along the line of most Arsenal fans. The team could do with some quality additions, which would make us more competitive next season. We need a world class defensive midfielder in the mould of Lars Bender or Javier Martinez to bring some physical presence in the midfield. The boss also needs to buy a world class centre forward, and rumours of players like Alvaro Morata and Karim Benzema have been rife in the last few weeks.

Arsene has achieved a lot for the club in the past 18 years, and we all know he can’t remain as the boss forever. He needs to leave behind a lasting legacy after he has left the club.