Wenger Set To Raid Malaga Again – Reports

Reports have emerged in the media that Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is set to raid Spanish club Malaga a third time after signing Santi Cazorla and Nacho Monreal in the last few seasons.

According to The People, the Arsenal manager is set to make a move for Malaga’s goalkeeper Willy Caballero as a possible replacement for Lukasz Fabianski whose contract expires at the end of the month. The Pole recently signed a five year contract with Swansea City after spending the last eight seasons at the club.

The goalkeeper is highly rated in the Spanish La Liga, and won’t be a bad signing for the Gunners should the deal go through. The 32 year old Argentine is worth £7 Million and would represent a major signing considering his experience.

The report claims that Wenger has already made enquiries about the availability of the 32 year old short stopper. The boss is said to be finalizing plans to put in a bid to bring the goalkeeper to the Emirates.

If Willy Caballero sign for us, I will expect him to not only be a decent back up to current number one Szczensy but as well as put the Polish national on his toes and also teach him one or two things about the art of goalkeeping.

The good thing about signing Willy Caballero is that at 32 years of age, he will not be around for too long which means Martinez’s progress to the first team will be gradual and not impaired.

Personally, I do not subscribe to the school of thought that Martinez should be promoted to the first team as replacement for Fabianski. That may be counterproductive. The lad has talent ( those who have seen him play for the reserves and Sheffield will agree ) but we have to be careful with the way we handle his integration into the first tea.

Arsenal have also been linked with 18 year old Brighton goalkeeper Christian Walton according to the Daily Mirror. Though still very young, Walton is seen as one of the brightest young goalkeepers in the lower division, and the Arsenal boss wants to sign him for the youth team.