Arsenal Should Sign Reus, Di Maria And Cavani To Compensate For Fabregas Loss

Although the summer transfer window is yet to be open but clubs have started making moves to sign the players they want. One of the key players that seems available on the transfer market is Arsenal’s former captain Cesc Fabregas. The Barcelona midfielder is surprisingly in the market after new Barca manager Luis Enrique declared him surplus to requirements. Seems the rubbicon has already been crossed with regards to Fabregas’ stay at the Nou Camp. According to reports, Barca has agreed a deal for highly rated Sevilla midfielder Ivan Rakitic. The Croatian playmaker looks like the ready-made replacement for Cesc and unless something happens that sees Xavi leave, Barca would be home and dry in the midfield position.

Back to the Fabregas’ issue, it is a known fact that should he decide to leave Barca in the summer, Arsenal hold the first option on him but recent reports have it that Arsenal have snubbed the chance to sign him despite Fabregas favouring a return to Arsenal. Reason given by the Arsenal hierarchy is that Arsenal already have similar players to the Spaniard and since their careers are just evolving, the arrival of Cesc who is more experienced could stymie it. That, according to the reports is something Wenger does not want. It is sad to miss out on Cesc but it is a harsh reality we have to accept. Ramsey proved that he could deliver at the highest level with his consistent eye-catching performances last season and deserve his chance again next season.

While we are trying to get over the harsh reality of missing out on Cesc and probably having to play against him next season, Wenger must make it up to Arsenal fans by signing top class players in this summer window. The excuse for not signing Cesc is that we are in no need for another creative midfielder as we have enough but it is crystal clear to even the blind that Arsenal need a new top class striker, a no nonsense defensive midfield anchor-man and a speedy winger. These needs are besides the need to fill the void left behind by the bossman departure of Sagna (right back) and Fabianski (goalkeeper).

For the role of a striker, Arsenal have been linked with many strikers but now that we are not getting Cesc, Arsenal should go for a marquee striker, I won’t mind having Uruguay striker Edison Cavani. He wants to leave PSG and a good bid would tempt the French spend rifts to part ways with him. For the wings, Arsenal have been linked with some wingers; Reus, Griezmann and Di Maria. Obviously, the Argentine is the one with the biggest profile and that is who I want. Wenger, go get him.

On the problematic position of defensive midfield, that position isn’t really for a big name but a sheer brute. If Wenger signed Gilberto, Petit and Viera, then he can sign another that would do the job with an aplomb.

We need an active summer not only to get over the potential loss of Fabregas to another Premier League team but as well to give ours a chance of actually winning the EPL after 9 years of waiting for it.