Why Arsenal Have A Good Chance Of Signing Di Maria

Arsenal have been linked with a move for Real Madrid’s Argentine winger Angel Di Maria. This isn’t the first time the Gunners are on the trail of the speedy Argentine. They were before he moved to Benfica and also tried for him last summer but ended up signing German playmaker Mesut Ozil instead.

Arsenal’s need for a new winger was reinforced when the injury to Theo Walcott robbed the Gunners of needed width and pace which inadvertently cost the Gunners the title at the end of last season.

Hence it is not a surprise that they are back for the former Benfica man that gave a man of the match performance against Athletico Madrid in the Champions League final. Conflicting reports are emanating from the Bernabeu with regards to Di Maria’s future. Some claim Real are willing to sell while another claims that Ancelotti is keen to keep Di Maria.

Which do we believe? There is one constant, Real will be going on a spending spree this summer after finishing third in La Liga. Reports have linked them with a move for Liverpool’s Suarez, Chelsea’s Ramirez and Dortmund’s Marco Reus. These are players that would hugely strengthen Los Blancos but they won’t arrive on the cheap. Suarez will cost at least 70million Pounds and the Ramirez and Reus won’t cost less than 60million Pounds. This puts Real’s potential expenditure at 130million Pounds.

With the UEFA hammer already dangling over flouters of the FFP rule, Real cannot afford to spend big without selling big as well. Little wonder some reports claim Perez is ready to listen to offers of 40million Pounds. He needs to sell to raise cash for the big spending they are planning.

Should this be the case, Arsenal are well poised to pounce. We have money to spend (over 100million Pounds war chest according to reports) and we are desperately in need of a natural left winger. Di Maria will add needed pace and creativity to Arsenal’s wings. Besides, his versatility will come in handy at Arsenal.

Personally, I want him at Arsenal and the fact that Wenger has been showing interest in him for sometime now shows my wish of seeing the Argentine at Arsenal may be fulfilled. Many will argue that signing Di Maria will affect Podolski, personally I don’t think so, we can always rotate the squad as it will still take Di Maria sometime to fully adapt to the league. We definitely do not expect him to come to this league and play for us week in week out.