Why Wenger Should Sign Mark Schwarzer

The departure of former Arsenal number 2 goalie, Lukasz Fabianski has left a void at Arsenal that must be filled this summer. After almost eight seasons at the club, Fabianski turned down an extension to his contract and has left to sign a five year deal with Swansea.

The press has linked us with a couple of replacements including Casillas, Caballero, and Walton among others. Only last week The Mirror reported that Arsenal were monitoring Christian Walton of Brighton.

However, one goalkeeper yet to be linked with a move to the Emirates is Chelsea’s Mark Schwarzer. The 41 year old Australian was signed by Chelsea last season and according to reports, he has been released as well which means he can join any club he wants.

Schwarzer only made six appearances for Chelsea last season, one of which came as a substitute. From the little I see of him last season, I think he can do a job for us next season and we should sign him. He is 41 and has been playing in the Premier League for a couple of years now which means he already knows the league.

Another great thing is signing him means the club doesn’t need to rush Damien Martinez into the first team. The Argentine needs a couple of seasons out on loan to develop his game, and signing Schwarzer as our number 2 goalkeeper will be the right decision. Another option would be to keep Martinez in the team as the number 3 and allow him to understudy both Szczesny and Schwarzer.

Mark Schwarzer is an experienced goalkeeper who has shown with Fulham and now Chelsea that he is reliable and is massively reliable when it comes to penalty shootouts. Signing the Australian on a free transfer means we will not have to spend big on a goalkeeper which also means the money that would have been spent on signing a goalkeeper can be spent on other areas of the team.