Arsenal Will Sign A New Striker – Claims Star

One position Arsenal fans are expecting Wenger to bolster in this summer transfer window is the striking department. The Gunners’ faltered title challenge last season was traced to inadequate firepower in attack as the Gunners were heavily dependent on two French strikers. One was more experienced but deemed inadequate owing to his wasteful nature while the other was new to the league and also young and inexperienced.

So far this summer, the rumour mill has been active in linking different strikers with a move the Emirates; Benzema, Mandzukic, Balotelli and Martinez are just few of the names on Wenger’s supposed wanted list. Current incumbent striker Olivier Giroud has dropped the biggest hint that Arsenal would be bringing in a striker this summer. This is what he had to say about it.

“I can tell you Arsenal will add a striker to the team,” Giroud to French websiteInfoSport+ (translated by ESPN).

“We need another striker. Great clubs have several good strikers, who compete with each other.”

I am excited at what Giroud said. He said he could tell that Arsenal would sign a striker. That statement had a tinge of certainty and for him to have said so, it must be that he has access to some inside information. Who could be that striker that Arsenal are planning to sign? Could it be any of the aforementioned names or QPR’s French striker Loic Remy? The Gunners have been linked with a move for the former Marseille forward and tongues were sent wagging when he watched Arsenal’s last home game of the season from the stands but Wenger poured cold water on the rumour when he said he didn’t invite his compatriot to watch the Gunners play West Brom.

Giroud and Remy are both in French squad to the World Cup and in the friendlies they have played together, they have shown some level of understanding which could excite Arsenal fans ahead of next season. Remy looks a realistic target for Arsenal when compared to the other stellar stars the Gunners have been linked with. He is cheaper, keen to play for Arsenal even if it means snubbing other London teams Chelsea and Tottenham. Besides, he is also versatile as he can play in a plethora of roles which makes him a perfect foil for Giroud.

I am excited about Remy and am particularly keen to see France’s match at the World Cup and see how Giroud (incumbent) and Remy (likely club partner) combine for Les Bleus. For the second part of Giroud’s statement, he was only echoing what fans have been saying. Our rivals for the title have ample strikers but we have few and the only way we can stand toe to toe with them id by strengthening our forward line and that means the addition of another striker.