Luis Gustavo To Arsenal?

One of the players we’ve been linked with heavily over the past 6 months is Luiz Gustavo of Wolfsburg. As well as his primary job of playing as defensive midfielder he has also slotted in at left back and centre back in his career. This versatility is obviously going to be a benefit to us with our limited defensive options especially at centre back. It is obviously that if we must challenge for honours in all fronts, we must have at least 4 centre backs and knowing Wenger, he may be indisposed to spending money on a new centre back hence signing someone like Gustavo who can play both as a defensive midfielder and centre back makes more sense.

Defensive midfield is a position I think we certainly need to reinforce. At the moment our two options are Arteta and Flamini. Arteta is a good middle of the road centre midfielder for me. He does the simple things quite well and usually is a 7/10 sort of player. My problem with him is the big games where I feel he gets found out.

His lack of pace seems to be magnified against real top class opposition and you can’t blame him, he is well in his 30s after all. Let’s put it this way would any of the top 4-6 clubs want him in their starting XI? The second option we have is Flamini. A free signing last season, he initially started off with a bang and seemed to lift the whole team to his level of intensity.

His initial burst has tapered off towards the end of the season. He was rarely trusted in big games and made a few sub appearances to round off his season. Another negative for him when he starts is that he’s guaranteed a yellow card, which as we know leads on to the cards of the red variety.

Signing someone of the quality of Gustavo means we can afford to use the likes of Flamini and Arteta as mere back ups. If Mr Gustavo is to join us he’s at a good age of 26, slight worry on my part would be why he couldn’t hack the pace at Munich. Let’s hope if his arrival materialises he’s a Gilberto rather than a Denilson.