Why Arsenal Should Sell Thomas Vermaelen But Not To Manchester United

After the departures of Fabianski and Sagna to Swansea and Manchester City respectively, Arsenal could be set to lose yet another key member of the squad to yet another rival. According to reports in the media, Arsenal captain Thomas Vermaelen could be on the move to arch rivals Manchester United. The reports claim the Belgian ace has already agreed personal terms with the Red Devils and there is to settle is transfer fee with Arsenal.

I take this news with mixed feelings. It could be a blessing in disguise since it would avail Arsenal the opportunity to bring in another centre back preferably a younger one who would be contended with a place on the bench and playing back up to first choice centre back pair; Laurent Koscielny and Per Mertesacker. Secondly, it would also allow Arsene Wenger to juggle the leadership of the Gunners. The incumbent captain is Thomas Vermaelen but the fact that he has been more of a bit part player last season doesn’t speak well of the team.

How can the captain of the team not be deemed good enough to be in the starting team. I believe Vermaelen is a good player but he seems to have been crushed by the weight of been captain of the Gunners. Mertesacker looks a better captain material but stripping the Belgian of the captain arms band without selling him could create unrest and rupture the harmony in the dressing room. I am quite sure Wenger won’t want the repeat of the Gallas’ saga. Vermaelen’s exit would provide Wenger with the perfect opportunity to give the armband to the one the cap really fits.

That said, it is not a bad thing to sell Vermaelen especially since his contract has just a year to run and should he be forced to see through his deal, Arsenal could be facing a déjà vu of Fabianski and Sagna situation so soon. Thankfully, with him still having an year left, Arsenal can decide where he ends. I won’t suggest Arsenal sell him to a domestic rival which is what Manchester United are. Past reports quoted Italian giants Napoli with an interest, Wenger should sound out Benitez to see if he is still interested. If he is, Wenger should sanction a sale to Napoli. Benitez is also poor with his valuation of players so Arsenal could still get at least 10million Pounds for the Belgian. Hopefully, he has a good World Cup which helps increase his valuation.