Julian Draxler Confirms Arsenal January Bid Was Rejected

One player that has been a recurring decimal in their transfer plans is German attacker Julian Draxler. The German youngster was linked with a move to the Gunners last summer but a bid failed to materialize. Instead, Arsenal signed his German compatriot Mesut Ozil.

In the winter window, Arsenal made an offer for Draxler but it was rejected by both club and player. Recent reports in the media suggested Arsenal are readying another move for the youngster but Draxler has moved quickly to pour cold water on the move by insisting, should any bid arrive from Arsenal, he would reject it, yet again, because he wasn’t ready to leave Schalke for another top club just yet.

Pursuing him would only resort in a dead end but what is the ado about Draxler? I don’t think Arsenal need him now. Perhaps we needed him in January when we had Walcott out and Giroud screaming for a rest but lack of back up couldn’t allow the request to be acceded. Now, it is the summer and a better opportunity for Arsenal to fill the needed void. For the striking position, Arsenal should go for a natural striker and Walcott’s return means we Draxler might just be a luxury.

Another reason why Arsenal don’t need Draxler, again, is the emergence of young Costa Rican striker Joel Campbell. The youngster showed his potentials in the World Cup match against Uruguay. When we have Campbell for free, why pay as much as 35million Pounds for Draxler? Campbell can play in almost all the roles Draxler can play in.

Finally, for the price-tag Draxler could be going for, Arsenal can get better value. His release clause stands at 35million Pounds but for that amount, Arsenal could get Di Maria, Pedro or Alexis Sanchez. These players are far more experienced than the young German and would serve Arsenal better to go for any of them.