Gustavo To Arsenal For £26m?

Arsenal have been linked once again with Brazilian midfielder Luis Gustavo. The Gunners were keen on a move for him last summer while he was at Bayern but lost the race for his signature to Bundesliga outfit Wolfsburg.

In the course of last season, Gustavo gave the hint that he could yet be on the move again to a bigger club if the right offer comes in. I guess he missed Champions League football. If he missed it just after a few months, two seasons without it would be too much to cope with. That means a move could be in the offing this summer with Champions League football been a key consideration.

Trust Wenger to return for him especially now that the club is looking to add steel to the Gunners’ brittle midfield. I don’t expect Wolfsburg to stand in his way of a move but they would look to make some profit on the player they signed just last summer, little wonder 26million Pounds is been quoted as the asking price. The question that raises is if Gustavo is worth such high amount.

I believe he is worth every penny of that amount. If Southampton are quoting 16-18million Pounds for Schnerderlin, a player that has few French caps and never played Champions League football, a player who is a regular in the Brazilian set-up, Champions League winner is worth more than that.

Another thing that excites me about Gustavo is his versatility. He is one of the most versatile players in the world. He can play defensive midfield, central defence, left back, left wing and even box to box midfield role. His versatility would prove pivotal for Arsenal especially after losing Sagna whose versatility always come to Arsenal’s rescue. In his time at Arsenal, besides playing in his natural right back position, Sagna filled in at left back and central defence.

The left back was shaky at times last season because Monreal wasn’t up to it in the absence of Gibbs. Gustavo could be a better back up for the Englishman.

In some quarters, it is believed that Arsenal need a centre back. It is a risk to bringing in another centre back when there is no guarantee he would play. Vermaelen who is the current third choice barely had games last season so what becomes the fate of another brought in? The solution is signing a versatile player whose primary position is elsewhere but can also fill in at central defence. By doing that, Wenger would be killing many birds with just one stone.

Gustavo is experienced and versatile. I bet he is worth that and even much more but Wenger can get him for that amount, he would be a steal.