5 Things You Need To Know About Arsenal Target Jackson Martinez

The Colombian Striker has been linked to Arsenal for some time. With several reports hinting that the club were interested in signing him in the January transfer window. The 27 year old striker has been setting FC Porto alight since his arrival from North America via Mexico. Although he is in the shadows of Ramadel Falcao in the Colombian national team, he has carved out a niche for himself during the ongoing World Cup in Brazil. Known as being a box striker who is adept at using both feet. He scored two goals against Japan in a Group C match at the World Cup. Reportedly available 33m, are five things to know about the Colombian and Porto striker.

  1. Do you know He supports Arsenal

The Colombian striker once expressed his adulation for Arsenal. Declaring that he loves the club’s style of play. Speaking about his link to Arsenal in January: He opined thus:

“I cheered for Arsenal when i was a kid- I love their style of play.”

“It’s flowing and open with a lot of first touch passes. It would be suitable for a player like me.”

“If I get a chance to play for a high level club like Arsenal I wouldn’t hesitate to accept it.”

2.  Averages a goal per game in the Portuguese League.

Jackson Martinez has 46 league goals in two seasons with FC Porto from 49 starts since he arrived to Europe in 2012. He has averaged 20 goals a season for Porto. His goal scoring prowess hasn’t been just in Europe, as he has been a consistent goal scorer, before he arrived Porto from Mexican side Chiapas in 6.5 million pound deal.

3. Has 33.2 million pound as a clause in his contract.

The Colombian who arrived from Mexican League side Chiapas in a 6.5 million pounds deal in 2012 has 33.2 million pounds as a release clause in his Porto contract.

4. Goal scoring goes way back.

He spent four years with Colombian side Medelin from 2005 – 2009, scoring 55 goals in 136 appearances, he carried that form to the Mexican League side, where he chipped in with 28 goals in 58 appearances. In his last season in the Colombian League, he finished top of the scoring chart with 18 goals.

5. Made His International debut Five years ago

Since he made his national team debut at the age of 22 years old in 2009, he has gone on to score 10 goals in 29 matches for Colombia.