Jackson Martinez Could Be The Next Arsenal Signing

When last season ended, the post-mortem on what could have been in respect of the club’s league performance was copiously obvious. What was clear from the statements of Arsene Wenger was that the team had to improve its attacking potential, drawing comparison with Manchester City and Liverpool who both had 100+ goals in the league as against Arsenal’s 68.

To this effect the club has sought to remedy this situation by the players that has so far being linked to the club. Already there is the signing of Alexis Sanchez which is imminent going by reports. But, a constant link as being that of Colombian striker, Jackson Martinez. The Porto striker has not hid his desire to play for Arsenal saying in an interview few weeks ago thus;

“As a child I cheered for Arsenal, they play a game that suits me. If I had the occasion to play there, I would say yes.”

Despite his wishes, and nothing of concrete interest from the club, the speculations have continued. Now the striker has continually gave different messages in respect of where his future lies in the coming season.

Martinez while speaking to the press said: “Right now, I don’t know what will happen.

“I have two more years on my contract with FC Porto.

“There is interest from some clubs, something that is perfectly normal when a player is performing well, but I always have to take into account the fact I am under contract and I have to respect it.

“Only time will tell what will happen.”

Going by his statement above, it is very clear there is interest in the Colombian striker. And the fact he has constantly been linked to Arsenal would mean there is something in it.

He is a player who has consistently scored goals everywhere he has played. Scoring 20 league goals for Porto last season in 29 league appearances. He possesses the physicality and pace to adapt to football in the Premier League. His’ has been a case of goals from Colombian side Medelin where he scored 55 goals in 136 appearances; he carried that form to the Mexican league side, where he chipped in with 28 goals in 58 appearances. In his last season in the Colombian League, he finished top of the scoring chart with 18 goals.

His reputation has a goal scorer is well known, but his 33.2 million pounds release clause could put off Arsene Wenger into pursuing it, after the money that would have been spent on Alexis Sanchez. It is likely that a less expensive buy will be brought in to complement the Chilean when he arrives.