After Signing Sanchez, Arsenal CEO Confirms More Signings

Arsenal have kick started their summer transfer activities with the capture of Barca Chilean attacker Alexis Sanchez. That transfer has elated Arsenal fans. The rumour of Arsenal gunning for the Chilean started out like a mere rumour, a déjà vu of the usual manner plethora of players is linked with Arsenal at the start of every transfer window. Also, the asking price of Barcelona made the move an unlikely one as fans and pundits wondered if Wenger could splash out big for the second season running after capturing German playmaker Mesut Ozil on deadline day last summer.

Finally, the calibre of teams that were also in the running for the Chilean meant Arsenal’s chance of getting him was remote. There was Juventus that might not be so rich but had their way of getting some top players and the Serie A was a familiar ground where Sanchez could be happy to return to. Manchester United though not in Europe, are keen to make an impression next season and with money to spend, there aren’t holding back anything to land their targets. They already splashed out big on Shaw and Herrera, and they were also linked to the Chilean.

Finally, there was Liverpool. The Reds were consigned to losing their inspirational striker Luis Suarez and wanted Sanchez as part of the deal that would take the Uruguayan to Nou Camp. It looked like a possibility.

Against all those odds, Arsenal was still able to sign Sanchez and the arrival of the Chilean has now all but solved the problem in attack. Reports have it, that Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is still keen on another striker, but even if he doesn’t get another one I believe the Gunners are good to go in attack for next season. An attack that boasts the likes of Giroud, Podolski, Sanchez, Walcott, Sanogo and Campbell can take any defence to the cleaners.

For the fans it might be a dream signing, but the Arsenal hierarchy aren’t resting on their laurels just yet promising more players still to come. This is what was revealed by Gazidis;

“We`ve pulled off a good one with Alexis Sanchez, but there`s more work to be done”

“I`m not going to talk about it until it`s done. I`ve got to get back, we`ve got more work to do.”

This statement leaves me thinking, what else could be in the offing. What other surprise is Wenger planning for the fans? According to reports, Arsenal is closing in on Newcastle right back Debuchy who will replace Bacary Sagna at the right side of defence. Who else could Wenger is targeting?

With the attack and right back sorted out, Arsenal needs to address the defensive angle of the midfield. The Gunners have been linked with moves for Real Madrid German midfielder Sami Khedira, Leverkusen’s Lars Bender and Southampton’s Morgan Schneiderlin. Whoever the Gunners end with, I just hope Wenger adds the needed steel to Arsenal’s brittle midfield.

Seems Arsenal is still keen on a new striker and have been linked to QPR’s French striker Loic Remy. Reports have it that Arsenal has already agreed a fee with QPR for Remy but they are stalling on personal terms. Hopefully, that is one of the deals they are working on.

Finally, could Wenger also be in the market for another centre back? It seems so with Vermaelen eying the exit door. It is important to bring in a replacement that will be a capable back up to duo of Mertesacker and Koscielny.

All in all, I hope Arsenal have a successful summer which puts them in good stead for the new Premier League season.