Arsenal Bid For Juan Cuadrado But Do We Need Him?

Arsenal is really in the mood to spend big in the transfer window judging by the signing of Sanchez and the type of players we have been linked to. The Gunners have already signed Sanchez for a hefty fee but are not ready to stop just yet. According to the latest report, Arsenal has made an official bid for Fiorentina’s winger Juan Cuadrado. The Columbian winger was one of the stars of the World Cup as he made himself an assist merchant for the South American outfit.

Barca is also said to be interested in the Colombian winger but after splashing out on Suarez, it is unlikely that they would spend big again on Cuadrado. As for Arsenal, why do they need Cuadrado again after signing Sanchez? Pundits and fans had hoped that Sanchez would be deployed on the left wing while Walcott mans the right wing, but it seems Wenger has a different idea. Le Prof might be contemplating getting Cuadrado to play on the left wing while Sanchez is deployed in a central striking role, should that happen, Arsenal won’t have to buy another striker.

With a front trio of Cuadrado, Walcott and Sanchez; Arsenal would have lightning pace in attack with the wingers capable of switching positions at will. Arsenal’s attack would be unpredictable. Another option is a switch of formation from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2. In Cuadrado and Walcott, Arsenal has natural wingers while Sanchez pairs Giroud in the central striking role. All these would give Arsenal options and depth on the bench.

There is the fear that Barca could trump Arsenal in the race for Cuadrado, but I believe if Cuadrado wants regular first team football, he would opt for Arsenal. Barca already boasts of a fearsome attacking trio of Messi, Neymar and new signing Suarez. If Cuadrado goes there, he would only be a backup for Neymar and Suarez.

Manchester United is another club interested in Cuadrado but lack of European football next season would work against them. In my own opinion, Arsenal is favourites for him only if Wenger is serious.