Calum Chambers To Become A Gunner?

Arsenal are stepping up their interest in Southampton’s right back Calum Chambers according to several reports in the English media this week. The Gunners are in the market for a replacement for departed French right back Bacary Sagna. According to reports, Arsenal have already agreed a fee for Newcastle right back Mathiey Debuchy but until he is unveiled things can still change. That is the Arsenal way. If the deal for Higuain and Jovetic could fall through then that of Debuchy could tow that path too.

Debuchy and Chambers are not the only right backs that have been linked with in recent times. Athletico Madrid’s young Spanish right Manquillo has also been linked with a move to Arsenal. With all the names and reports linked with a move to Arsenal, it seems Wenger is targeting one experienced right back and a talented youngster.

Debuchy fits the bill of an experienced right back while the duo of Manquillo and Chambers fit the bill of talented youngsters. Apparently, Wenger intends Debuchy to mentor a talented youngster who would take over from him on the long term. This to me is a step in the right direction as considering Debuchy’s age and Wenger’s anti 30+ policy, we may find ourself in the transfer market again in the near future looking for anotherĀ  right back if we do not solve the problem once and for all now.

The arrival of two right backs would cast a huge cloud of uncertainty over the future of current understudy Carl Jenkinson. Wenger won’t keep three right backs in his fold since it would mean one won’t have playing time at all. Could be that Wenger has grown fed up of Jenkinson’s slow improvement and is ready to sell him or loan him out atleast.

I would suggest a loan deal or a full sale that would have a buyout which could be activated at anytime just the Vela one. Jenkinson might not have regular football at Arsenal with Debuchy around but at a modest club like Newcastle or even Southampton, he night get regular run of first team football which would expedite his readiness to star for Arsenal.

Jenkinson in my opinion is at the moment not of Arsenal’s quality but by sending him to an EPL club on loan where he will play regularly, he will be abel to horn his skills further ala Jack Wilshere when we sent him on love to Bolton few years ago.