Arsenal Switch Attention To £18 Rated Schneiderlin As Khedira Move Stalls

According to reports, Arsenal have switched their attention to Southampton defensive midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin as it continues it quest to get a player that will fill that position. The midfielder is regarded as a cheaper option for that position in terms of wages and transfer fees. A fee in the region of £15 million is expected to be enough to take him out of Southampton.

This report is coming on the heels of the bottleneck that has hit the transfer of Sami Khedira after reports that his wage demands may have damaged any potential deal with Arsenal.

The Southampton midfielder has been part of the players at St. Mary’s which have attracted the attentions of other clubs following his stellar performance for the Saints in the last two seasons. Having spent six years with the South coast outfit, he has expressed his desire to test himself with a bigger team following his debut for France at the just concluded World Cup in Brazil. Speaking about his future he said:

“I’ve been there for a long time now,” (since 2008)

“We’ll see how things go, but the directors know my position and what my intentions are.

“Everyone has ambitions; everyone has his own future in his hands, so we’ll see. Every player wants to play on big occasions.

With Arsenal’s interest now fully established, and with his know how of the Premier League, he could be a safer option for Arsene Wenger as he wouldn’t have to settle down into the rigours of the league being a player already in the league. With his record of averaging 0.12 blocks, 1.55 clearances, 2.83 tackles, and 1.53 aerial duels won all per game. He could be the prototype holding player that Arsenal have needed for years.

However, considering the fact that Southampton has lost some key members (Ricky Lambert, Adam Lallana and Luke Shaw to Liverpool and Manchester United respectively) of it squad to the preying hawks of the bigger club, whether they will be willing to let go of the French man remains to be seen. This point is coming on the heels of their rejection of a £20 million bid from Liverpool for Croatian centre defender Dejan Lovren. Even after the player had went public about his desire to leave the club.

Whoever Arsenal eventually brings in for the holding midfield position, the importance of addressing that area of the squad cannot be over emphasised judging by the shortcomings of the players currently occupying that position at the club.