Arsenal Could Sign High Rated Striker On Loan

With the summer transfer window still in full swing, players continue to be linked to Arsenal. The striker situation is still one of the most debated amongst Arsenal’s transfer target, especially following Arsene Wenger’s comment that he would not be bringing in another striker since new signing Alexis Sanchez can feature as a striker and as a winger.

With that in mind, a developing situation at Shakhtar Donetsk could play into Arsenal’s hand even with Arsene Wenger’s comment. Brazilian attacking midfielder who can also play as a striker Douglas Costa could be made available following his refusal to return for pre-season training because of the crisis in Ukraine.

With the 23 year old having been linked to Arsenal in the past, this could be an opportunity for the club to bring in him on a bargain should the Ukrainian club decides to place him on transfer.

The attacking midfielder/attacker speaking to on his refusal to return to Ukraine, saying that:

 “I like the club, the people, the city, but I’m afraid,”

With the striker situation at Arsenal, it would be worth a punt for the club to bring in the 23 year old on loan for the season with the crisis in Ukraine.

The attacking midfielder/striker had 27 appearances, scoring 4 goals last season for Shakhtar Donetsk.

Despite the fact that the Brazilian could be available for a loan or outright transfer, it looks improbable that Arsene Wenger would consider bringing in a player that might not be in the top echelons of the game. The strategy of le prof has obviously changed over the past few transfer windows, especially with his reluctance to bring in a player(s) that will not improve the squad significantly.

The signing of Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil by Arsene Wenger signalled a change of direction for the club, as the signing of the players that are world class have become more of a priority for the club rather than settling for players that are distinctly not in the top of the game.

The situation of Douglas Costa could not be more precarious as his club has criticized both his refusal and that of his Brazilian colleagues to return to Shakhtar Donetsk. With the words:

“We want to stay at the club, but we must have risk-free working conditions.”

Whether Arsene Wenger will look to the tap into the situation remains to be seen if Shakhtar Donetsk decides to loan out Douglas Costa.