Done Deal, Arsenal Agrees Deal For High Rated Star, To Have Medicals Tomorrow

According to various reports tonight, Arsenal are closing on agreeing a deal for high rated Southampton FC’s Calum Chambers. According to the reports, Chambers is likely to be our 4th signing of the summer in a deal that is said to be worth as much as 12 million pounds. Yes, 4th signing as Wenger only this afternoon practically confirmed the signing of David Ospina from Nice while addressing the press in faraway America.

Chambers who had a total of 23 first team appearance for the saints last season has been on Arsenal’s radar for some time now with various reports linking him to us last winter transfer window. Should he join, he is likely to become the second choice to Arsenal’s new signing Mathiue Debuchy who only just 2 weeks ago joined from Newcastle united.

Should the report be true, the signing of Chambers will bring into question the future of Jenkinson who is at a similar age with Chambers. Although reports have been linking Jenkinson to a loan move to Newcastle, it however now looks likely that the Finish/Englishman will be sold out rightly. I simply cannot see Wenger keeping him after signing Chambers especially for £12million.

Also, with the signing of Chambers, it is difficult to see Arsenal signing his fellow team mate Morgan Schneridelin. It is very unlikely that Southampton will agree to sell 2 of their players to us in the same window especially after looking the trio of Lambert, Lallana and Luke Shaw and are likely to also lose Lovren to Liverpool if the reports in the English press is anything to go by.

The good thing about the likely signing of Chambers is the fact that he can also play centre back which means we are not only bringing in a player who is reliable back up for Debuchy but as well as someone who can become our 3rd ( if Vermaelen leaves ) or 4th choice centre back should Vermaelen stays.