Arsene Wenger has always been a prudent coach, always spending when it is absolutely necessary. This has earned him nicknames like “Le Prof” and “baba Ijebu” as he is commonly referred to in this side of the world. The foremost thing on his mind presently is signing players that can slot into his team seamlessly; as “Le Prof” will hate to repeat the mistake made by their north London rivals last season where seven new players was signed during the summer transfer window.
He already knows what his shopping list looks like. This much he has alluded to several times. He needs a Defensive Midfielder, a central defender, a centre forward and strengthening other positions.
The five players linked with transfers to “the Gunners” as they are popularly referred to be:
- Matija Nastasic seem to be a target for Arsene Wenger as a replacement for 28 year old Thomas Vermaelen who seem set to leave as a result of his inability to break into the first team. Letting Thomas Vermaelen leave for the reported price of 10 million pounds price tag will be good business for Arsenal FC because he has just one year remaining on his contract and he seems to be losing his old form which made fans refer to him as “The Verminator”. It will even be better if we manage to convince Manchester City to sell Nastasic to us.
The 21 year Old Serbian international could be willing and ready to join the gunners as Manchester City has pushed through a big-money move for Porto’s french defender, Eliaquim Mangala.
- The next player that “Le Prof” could be interested in is Mario Balotelli. Although earlier in the month, Wenger had dismissed reports claiming the hot headed Italian is on his way to Arsenal, new reports this week are claiming a deal could be reached between AC Milan and Arsenal FC. This deal will involve the Costa Rican Joel Campbell moving the other way. The major hitch to the deal may be the weekly wage demand of Mario Balotelli. Although on a personal note, I will like to see us keep Joel Campbell and say no to Balotelli but Wenger decides and in this case, I just have to trust his judgment. Won’t be surprised a bit should this swap deal happen.
- Arsenal have been in talk to Sami Khedira for the last few weeks over a summer move to Arsenal FC, but the deal has since stalled because of his 150,000 pounds a week wage demands. However, the Real Madrid star has reportedly reduced his wage demands to 134,000 pounds a week in a last-ditch bid to make his transfer go through. We will be following this report and let you know as it pans out.
- After a deal was struck last night with Southhampton FC for the young right Calum Chamber, Arsenal FC also believe they can strike a deal for Morgan Schneiderlin, the midfielder who moved to the Southhampton from Strasbourg of France for 16 million pounds, is seen as a replacement should in can Sami Khedira fails to go through. But the asking price of 27 million pounds is a stumbling block for this deal.
- William Carvalho is seen as another replacement for Sami Khedira. Carvalho has a release clause of £37million but Arsenal hopes they can drive his price closer to the £24milloin mark that was presented so as to have a deal. But the Frenchman is supposedly interested more in Arsenal’s London rival.