Thoughts on Arsenal Transfers So Far : 4 Done And Dusted, More To Come

Arsenal FC is believed to be a team that nurtures and grow young players into their senior team. But this summer transfer window has surprised a lot of football pundits who feels the same thing that has been happening over the last few seasons will happen again. Arsene Wenger surprised us all by sealing four deals so far.

The first was a big surprise. Le Prof as Arsene Wenger is commonly referred to sign Chilean International Striker Alexis Sanchez for around £30 million on a five year deal. The 25 year Old scored 47 goals in 141 appearances for Barcelona FC and netted two goals at the world cup. Though some critics are saying Sanchez is not the answer for Arsenal’s striking problem but most people believe he is a very good signing as he will seem to boost our striking Armoury. He will add to the frontline that includes Olivier Giroud, Lukas Podolski and Yaya Sanogo. And he also has that all-important pace and he is somebody who can get behind defences which will work to Ozil’s favour. He has played on the right side of attack as well as on the left a lot for Barca, so whether he will play a bit more centrally for Arsenal is something we will have to wait to see.

In the past when a major player leaves Arsenal, young inexperienced players are always drafted to fill their places, but this season is very different. When Arsenal lost defensive stalwart Bakary Sagna to Manchester City this summer, it opens a big space at the right position. But the signing of Frenchman Mathieu Debuchy is seen as a perfect replacement. The Frenchman has been consistently excellent for both Newcastle United and the French National team. The good thing about this signing is that we are signing a player who at national level benches the player we are trying to replacement.

David Ospina seems to be another Arsenal summer signing. Only yesterday the Arsenal Manager stated that the imminent signing of the high rated Colombia national team goalkeeper could pose considerable threat to Wojciech Szczesny’s spot as the gunner’s number one stopper. The former Nice and Colombian Shot Stopper who impressed during the FIFA world cup in Brazil was signed as a replacement for Fanbiaski who left the club for Swansea City. Though a replacement for the substitute keeper who left the club, the 25 year old could compete for the Number 1 shirt, which the coach said it will be down to performances.

Calum Chambers is set to join us in a deal said to be worth £7million which deal could rise to £12million. Should the deal be sealed, the 19 year old will provide an alternative for fellow new signing, Mathieu Debuchy at the right back next season. Although he has made only 24 senior appearances for the saints he is viewed as a big talent. He has already captained England at U19 level. The good thing is he is versatile enough to play for us both as right back and centre back when necessary. His arrival will however reopen the possibility of Carl Jenkinson leaving the Club, with West ham United as a possible destination.

Arsenal is still linked to many major players including Morgan Schneiderlin, Sami Khedira, Mario Balotelli, Matija Nastasic, William Carvalho, Chris Smalling and Phil Jones so we can agree that Arsene Wenger is taking this season more serious than the previous seasons. I strongly believe this to be linked to the hunger for more success, the fact that the club has almost finished paying for debt taken to build the Emirates Stadium.