It is practically official Arsenal has snapped up Southampton’s 19 year old star Calum Chambers despite the right-back having only made 18 Premier League starts. To many, the English under 19 captain is not know. To enlight those who dont know who Arsenal has signed, here are 5 things you need to know about the man from St Mary’s.
The fee is not as big as you think
1) The Fee for the deal is believed to be around the £11 Million mark which could rise to £16 Million with add-ons, while some may bulk at the fee, Chambers does indeed represent a gamble for Wenger. This is no surprise from Arsene’s point of view however, already purchasing 2 Southampton starlets in previous years (Theo Walcott & Alex Oxlaide-Chamberlain) who have gone on to become integral members of the team.
He is a versatile player
2) Chambers is an incredibly versatile player and this was one of the main reasons Wenger wanted to get the deal done, “He can play at centre-back, right-back and central midfield,” Wenger said. “I hope he will give us competition for the players in this three positions. He hasn’t played many games, no, but the English players on the market in England are very expensive and at the end of the day I was ready to take a gamble because he is a player for the future.” His versatility means should Vermaelen leave, Chambers could well be his direct replacement.
3) It’s stats time, and they are very impressive! In 21 appearances, Chambers has made 75 clearances with a 100 percent accuracy. The mins per ground 50-50s and aerial 50-50s stats are at par with Sagna’s and Ivanovic’s. Chambers has made a tackle every 36 minutes with an accuracy of 84.44%, intercepted 37 times and 1 defensive error in 1631 mins is the best in England’s top-flight this season (for full-backs). So defensively Chambers has been matching the Premier League’s best, not bad for a 19 year old eh!
4) let’s not get over ourselves, he is still a teenager learning the game!
Calum Chambers has been very impressive, but it will be unfair to judge a player on the basis of his performance in his first season. He still needs time to develop into a complete player and will not be a direct replacement for Sagna. But Chambers is a quality addition to the squad. Arsene knows how to nurture a young prospect and the move will be beneficial for the club as well as for the player. As was seen post-January, lack of depth in the squad cost Arsenal dearly in the title race and Arsenal must bring in the ‘fringe players’ to provide cover for the super stars.
5) We might even see Chambers on opening day of the season, with news coming out that Wenger is going to rest his German stars for the first few games and with the speculation of Vermaelen leaving the club, Chambers could slot alongside Laurent Koscielny against Crystal Palace, and I say good luck to him!