Arsenal Manager Ready to Break £70m Barrier in the Transfer Market

Following the signing of four players (Alexis Sanchez, Mathieu Debuchy, David Ospina and Calum Chambers) in the month of July, which by the way was a departure from how the club conducts its business in the past, Arsene Wenger has stated that he is not yet finished with his transfer activities.

“I’m very happy because I did what I wanted, and I am still open to do more, Said Wenger

“Let’s not forget that we are at the first of August today, and the transfer window closes on the 31st. For years… I didn’t sit with the media here on the first of August having done quite a lot of business.

“We are a bit ahead of what we usually do, because the availability on the market was bigger and earlier than before,”

From Arsene Wenger’s comments, his adeptness to the last days of the transfer window will certainly be on display this time around going by the mention of dates that are close to when the window shuts.

“The bigger clubs have done their deals earlier, and when one starts everybody follows, and that’s why it was a bit quicker. Many clubs decided to do it before the World Cup, and since the World Cup was over, not a lot has happened. But I think the second half of August, the 15th to 30th, will be busy again.

Also, he mentions the fact that clubs would go into the season still short of signings as they look to see what their team is lacking and the areas that are still in need of reinforcement.

“Everyone takes a breather at the moment because everyone checks in their preparation games what they still need. People have done the biggest part of what they want to do and the last part will be done after the preparation games to see what you miss.”

Who are the players that could come in?

Despite Arsene Wenger’s attempt to masks the fact in respect of what the team still needs; it is blindly obvious that, Arsenal doesn’t have to go into the new season to know the areas to strengthen.

Arsenal need a defensive midfielder and has needed a centre half since last season. The pursuit of William Carvalho and Sami Khedira shows le prof knows the area of his team that is in need of urgent surgery. He has not bought a defensive midfielder for some time. The last time he brought in a prototype defensive midfielder was Gilberto Silva in 2002 and that turned out fine. The club could end up with either Sami Khedira or William Carvalho in midfield by the end of the window.

In defence, it seems Arsene Wenger is leaning towards the departure of Thomas Vermaelen before he reacts in the transfer market. The club needs two centre halves, although with the signing of Calum Chambers, who has the potential to play as a centre half, it means only one signing would come in there if Thomas Vermaelen eventually leaves. Few central defenders have been linked to the club in this window which makes name calling in that area hazy.

On the attack, it looks improbable that there would be any person coming in following the signing of Alexis Sanchez, something Arsene Wenger alluded to after the Boreham friendly.