Arsenal transfer rumours: Riyad Mahrez deal close?

Mahrez celebrating goal for Leicester City
                                                         Mahrez celebrating goal for Leicester City

Riyad Mahrez have to embrace the idea of Arsenal being interested in luring him to the Emirates Stadium, says Danny Mills.

The former Premier League and England defender Danny Mills has told BBC Radio 5 Live that the Leicester midfielder should jump at the chance to sign for Arsenal.

Report from Eurosport France this weekend says that Mahrez was close to completing his move to the Emirates stadium, although these claims have since quietened.

Also according to SkySports, it was reported that the Leicester’s chiefs and officials were set to discuss the future of key players on Monday evening, including the Algerian international.

The former England defender believes Mahrez should move, even though teammate Jamie Vardy snubbed a switch to Arsenal.

“If I was Jamie Vardy I would have walked to the Emirates. Mahrez should do the same.” He told 5 Live’s Monday Night Club. He also went on saying that he was concerned as to whether he was really needed by the north London club. He added: “Do Arsenal need him? They can probably do without him.”

“Look at what Mourinho’s done at Manchester United, four signings – Pogba if they get him – in the centre of the pitch.”

“Wenger again is faffing around the edges with wide players?”

I believe Mahrez would to some extent be a luxury player at Emirates, but at the same time the Algerian star would be an excellent addition.

Possibly if he do complete his move to Arsenal that would not solve our requirement to sign a striker and a centre-back and those issues would still need to be address, however, the 25-year-old could help take the pressure off Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez.