HUGE: Arsenal set to sign World Cup winning La Liga defender

Shkodran-Mustafi-594924

With report from Sky Sports confirming that Per Mertesacker’s knee problem will rule the German out of action for five months, leaving Rob Holding and Calum Chambers as the only backup centre-backs for the Gunners.

It is believe that we are in hurry to find a new highly-class defensive partner for Laurent Koscienly.

According to Jan Aage Fjortoft a former Bundesliga star also a reliable Norwegian journalist on his social media – Twitter – reveals that the Gunners want to replace Mertesacker with Mustafi, believed to be their target, who currently plays in Spain for Valencia.

The 24-year-old, has made twelve appearances for the German national team, he joined Valencia two years ago, and it is now a trending news that the La Liga side are looking to sell him. In fact, they have offered the World Cup winner to Milan, who were not willing to splash the cash.

According to Daily Star who are citing report from Italian journalist Emmanuele Giulianelli – not the most reliable, as many of know of – added that we have already held initial talks with Mustafi’s agent.

However, regardless of whether or not this claim is true, or just another case of a journalist trying to take advantage of a major injury to release a new story, but based on Fjortoft’s tweets, the interest seems to be genuine.

I believe we will want to get the deal done as soon as possible to avoid having to field a depleted defence in our opening Premier League game against Liverpool on 14 August, with Laurent Koscielny also set to miss the start of the season.