Arsenal eyeing £21m move for ‘impressive’ international defender

Shkodran-Mustafi-594924

With recent news that Per Mertesacker has been ruled out for ‘5 months’ with a knee injury, Valencia centre-back Shkodran Mustafi has caught eye of Arsene Wenger as a replacement for the German.

Much has been made about the Frenchman’s hunt for a reliable forward this summer, but Wenger need to turn his attentions to shoring up his defence and the World Cup winner is reportedly on his mind.

The German defender has previously played in England for Everton, though he made only one first team appearance with the Toffees. He has spent the last two season with Valencia, where he notched up 78 appearances in all competitions.

What I think we need now at the Emirates stadium more than anything else is an experienced defender who can slot straight in immediately, more preferably for the games against Leicester City and Liverpool on 14 and 20 August.

We have young defenders, in newly signed Rob Holding, Calum Chambers, and Krystian Bielik, they do not have much top flight experience and who we need is someone who’s fit and ready now.

This is the lone reason why Mustafi is back on Wenger’s radar. The German is 24 years old and he had performed very brilliantly in his two seasons with the Los Che Els Taronges despite a constant merry-go-round of coaches at the Mestalla.