Photo : Arsenal star heads back to London ahead of Arsenal v Southampton

Arsenal’s and Spanish international Nacho Monreal had reportedly headed back to London on Sunday evening as the defender prepared to gear up for the north London club home clash against Southampton.

The Spaniard according to the report wasn’t included in Julen Lopetegui’s first Spain squad after we conceded five goals in our opening three Premier League games.

The versatile defender has played all three of our Premier League fixtures this season after moving brilliantly ahead of Kieran Gibbs in the pecking order over the last season or so.

Monreal, 30, snapped a selfie and posted the image on his Instagram page as he headed back to the English capital on Sunday evening ahead of our next weekend’s home clash against Southampton.

Back to london!!! 😉

A photo posted by Nacho Monreal (@nachomonrealoficial) on

Monreal wrote the following caption:

“Back to london!!! 😉”

The former Malaga versatile defender has bagged two goals in 131 games for the Gunners in all competitions since he made his move to Emirates stadium from the Spanish capital in 2013.

We finished in second place in the Premier League table, 10 points behind champions Leicester City last season.

However, our side has bagged four points from a possible nine after recording just one Premier League win so far this term.