“Jamie Vardy Would Make It To Arsenal Starting XI” – Gary Lineker

Gary Lineker, a retired English footballer and current sports broadcaster believes Leicester City forward Jamie Vardy would have walked into Arsenal starting XI had he decided to move to the Emirates earlier in the summer. He believes our current forwards are not as adequate and competent enough as the England forward.

Vardy, 29, snubbed a move to the Emirates Stadium this summer after we triggered the England international £20million release clause. However, so far this season, Vardy has bagged two goals, despite the reigning Premier League champions struggling hard to regain their form from last season.

Vardy saw the back of the net 24 times in the recently concluded campaign, which led the Foxes to the Premier title and the Emirates outfit, in search for a prolific forward, had activated his release clause.

We’ve have already travelled to the King Power Stadium this season and came back with only a point, in a drab stalemate.

However, before the end of the summer, we’ve concluded the signing of Lucas Perez from Deportivo La Coruna to add to our forward line, with England international forward out for the majority of the season with a knee injury.

The retired English footballer however believes Vardy would take time to fit into the Gunners squad and his arrival at the Emirates stadium would have given them a proven solution up front.

Lineker said, as quoted by the ESPN“I think he’d walk into Arsenal’s team. Have you seen their centre-forwards? They’re fine but they’re not as prolific as Vardy. They are not as quick as Vardy and they don’t give you the options Vardy does. Olivier Giroud is a certain kind of target man. He will get his one goal in three or whatever it is,”

“Lucas Perez, who they’ve brought in, I quite like but he’s not going to be as prolific as Vardy. All players believe they will start anyway if they’ve got anything about them. You can tell Vardy is full of confidence.”

“It was a big moment, and it was a very surprising moment,” added Lineker. “I thought it said a lot about him as well. It’s not all about the big pay day and stuff — especially at this time in his career as it was perhaps his one and only chance of moving to a bigger club. It was a really significant moment.It spoke a lot about him and the club and the fact there are ambitions at Leicester.”