Arsenal Official News ! – “First of all, I’m happy now, I played as a striker.” New Signing Admits

Shkodran Mustafi who completes his move to the Emirates Stadium has already made a big impact with fans following impressive performances he’s showed since he arrived from Valencia this summer. Now, by his own admission, he claims he didn’t always play in the heart of defence.

Manager Arsene Wenger spent out £35 million in bringing the German to the Emirates this summer, not knowing that when he started out with Hamburg as a 14-year-old, Mustafi was employed as a striker.

However, according to his admission, striking was a position that he never excelled at and over time, he drifted back through the team until he settled in as a highly rated centre-back.

As reported in the Daily Mail, Mustafi says,

“First of all, I’m happy now because otherwise I don’t know if I would be here. But when I started, I started as a striker.”

“When I was only 14, I signed for Hamburg and slowly went all the way back to the defence.”

 “I played in front of the defence for a few games and then in the end I ended up being a central defender and then I got a call up for the national team, for the under-15s at this time, and then it became my position.”

Personally, wherever Mustafi must have begun his career we’re thankful that he ultimately ended up both as a centre-back and an Arsenal player.