Arsene Wenger: ‘Football director? What does it mean?’

Arsene Wenger talked to the press on Tuesday morning ahead of the Gunners’ clash with Southampton on Wednesday and seemed to quell all talks of someone coming to the Emirates as football director and any behind the scenes restructuring.

The French boss was asked about the speculations going round of him employing the services of a director of football and he was very demeaning in his assessment of the role, saying he could not comprehend the need for it and “I don’t know what that means. I never could understand.” This came after he went “No, no, no, no, no”. He also asked do they stand in the middle of the road directing players.

Wenger was then further questioned about the rumoured restructure and if it will happen and he replied he is in charge at the Emirates and “as long as I am manager I will decide what happens on the technical front and that’s it”.

And that signaled the end of the press conference…

When asked earlier in the press conference about Lucas’ future at Arsenal, Wenger said “I would love to keep him…if I am manager next season.”

He then added that himself and the player would sit down in the summer and decide  what would favor both sides and if Arsenal can give Lucas enough playing time as he decserves.