Arsenal dealt another injury blow ahead of FA Cup final

Arsenal’s Per Metesacker has announced that he is unsure if he would be appearing in Saturday’s FA Cup final against Chelsea.

The 32-year-old captain’s role can also be played by Laurent Koscielny, Gabriel and Shkodran Mustafi but the three are out with Koscielny banned, Gabriel injured and Mustafi battling illness. That leaves Rob Holding as the only healthy and available centre-half to face the Premier League Champions.

Mertesacker’s appearance in the game would almost definitely bring about a change in formation for the Gunners, as the German will unlikely be used among the back-three in what will be just his second appearance of the current campaign.

When questioned if he would be able to answer if called upon for the game he replied: “I cannot tell you.

“I haven’t played this year. But I have done this for 15 years so I expect myself to be absolutely ready no matter what comes.

“That is my mindset, no matter what happens or what is facing me on Saturday, I am going to go for it. I owe this to this team and to this club.

“I want to make sure I will be ready and my mindset is ‘120 minutes plus penalties’.

“(It is) completely unexpected. I made the squad because of two injuries and then I came on (on Sunday in the 3-1 defeat of Everton) due to one red card and one injury.

“It was unexpected but you need to be ready at any time. It was good to get a run out and obviously make my first appearance of the season after a long, long injury. I was very grateful I got the opportunity.”