Arsenal welcomes new signing from Portugal at the Emirates

Arsenal winger Joel Campbell admits he has no idea where he will be at next season after Sporting Lisbon refused to take the Costa Rican on permanently.

The 24-year-old has had to endure a season long loan spell in Portugal but he did not make enough impact in the Primeira Liga to earn himself a permanent spot in their squad. When questioned about his time with Sporting by by Portuguese newspaper A Bola, Campbell was calm and collected, saying:

“In fact, it was a very good stage. I am 24 years old, I have been in several leagues and it has helped me to accumulate experience to become a better player and a better person. So I am satisfied.”

But when he was questioned what his next step would be now that he is returning to Arsenal, he was shady, saying his only focus was his participation in the Costa Rican national team for their World Cup qualifying matches against Panama and Trinidad & Tobago early next month:

“Now I will be concentrating only on the national team. When I have to return to Arsenal, we’ll see what happens. I showed this season that I can be an option, I played 30 games, but in football there are always good circumstances and others not so much.”

Campbell did not get much playing time as he was only used as a substitute by Sporting manager Jorge Jesus this term. He started only 11 of his 28 appearance for the Portuguese club this season, picking up three goals and assisted a further four.