Arsenal centre-back goes off, leaves the Gunners stranded

If we discount the FA Cup final, then we would be right to say most Arsenal fans will not be bothered whether or not the big World Cup winning Germany international would ever play in the Arsenal shirt again, Per Mertesacker had been out all season due to injury and with his lack of pace, there were not too many calls for him to return to the playing field.

But the last game at Wembley cannot be overlooked, because our BFG played a starring role in a game in which there were predictions of doom for Arsenal even before the start of the game as they were going against the just elected Premier League champions Chelsea. Despite having just a total of over half an hour play time in the league, the German played excellently well and that suggest he replicate the performance when called upon next season.

In an interview with the German press reported by Metro, the Arsenal skipper and centre back revealed he would end his playing career next year and that he will not be able to playregularly, so will he just be used when Arsene Wenger decides to rest the other defenders.

Per said, ‘I am motivated, but I can not play every three days anymore. I do not want to push my luck.

‘I told him [Arsene Wenger] I was tired, mentally drained. I’ve been thinking of my career, there’s nothing to it, I’m going to finish. It didn’t matter how hard I’d trained, I did not get a chance.’

Mertesacker was able to prove his worth in the squad by his outstanding display of good form against a formidable side, so maybe Wenger will rest him ahead of the big games next season.