Breaking news: Ozil agreed to Schalke deal

Mesut Ozil left Schalke in 2008, but the playmaker is not ruling out a return as he can still picture himself among the ranks at the club before the end of his career.

Ozil joined Schalke’s academy back in 2005, but moved out to Werder Bremen in 2008 beofre he joined Real Madrid and then finally Arsenal.

Despite rumors arising linking him with a possible move away after a disappointing season where he constantly subjected to criticism, the Germany international is expected to pen a new deal but on a talk of possible return to Gelsenkirchen, Ozil told Funke Media Group: “Right now, I’m not thinking about it. But in football you cannot rule out anything.

“My family would be very happy about a return.

“Schalke is my absolute favourite club, I’m still a big fan. After all, I grew up with Schalke.

“In terms of potential, Schalke is the number three for me in Germany after Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund.

“They have wonderful fans and a great stadium. It is a pity that they are stuck in mediocrity. This fantastic club deserves more.”

Schalke finished 10th in the Bundesliga.