Insider Confirm Deal Done, Mahrez Already A Gunner, Announcement Imminent

Arsenal face the prospect of missing out  on Leicester City winger Riyad Mahrez with reports claiming he has agreed to a move to AS Roma.

The Algerian international has been heavily linked with the Gunners on several occasions this summer, though Arsene Wenger is believed to be hoping for a deal to come through for Monaco’s Thomas Lemar.

Mahrez has enjoyed the spotlight of the Premier League and looks an ideal fit for Arsenal, having also been linked with a move to a move to the Emirates Stadium last summer.

However, despite the player having preference for a move to either Arsenal or Barcelona, he may be on the edge of signing for Roma.

According to Mediaset, Mahrez has agreed to personal terms with the Italian side, with Leicester only waiting for the Serie A club to meet their asking price of £44million for the 26-year-old.

Roma are way short of the fee at the moment, having offered closer to £26 million for the 2015-16 PFA Player of the Year, who is being touted as a replacement for Mohamed Salah after his recent move to Liverpool.

Speaking earlier this month, Leicester manager Craig Shakespare said of Mahrez: ‘Ultimately he’s contracted to the football club and he has to be professional.

‘We all can have a little mood swing but it’s about how long that lasts for. It applies to everybody, not just Riyad, the commitment and application has to be there.

‘We haven’t had any bids and if we don’t have one, we’ve got no decision to make.’

Mahrez has bagged 28 goals in the last two seasons for Leicester, and was an integral part of their shock title-winning side of two seasons ago with a number of match-winning performances.

Arsenal could do with more options in attack for next season, though may be cooling their interest due to Wenger’s own claims that unsettled star Alexis Sanchez could end up staying at the club.