Done ! Squad NUMBER 26 Assigned, Mahrez Shares Picture Of Himself In Arsenal Jersey

Roma could be about to put a halt to their transfer interest in Riyad Mahrez, booting Arsenal’s hope of signing the £50million-rated Leicester City winger this summer.

The Algeria international has been a top transfer target for a better part of this summer, with some speculation that the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham could also be interested in him.

However, Arsenal and Roma have looked the main contenders for Mahrez’s signature since he publicly admitted he wanted out of the King Power Stadium at the end of last season.

The 2015/16 PFA Player of the Year is expected to come at a big fee, and Roma director of football Monchi has admitted his club are looking at alternative options after two failed bids, suggesting they won’t go any higher.

‘We’re not just working on one name,’ Monchi told reporters.

‘It’s logical, we have different options. In the case of Mahrez it’s become public knowledge, with others it hasn’t.

‘We’ve made two offers, the second is fair and then we stopped. There are no percentages, the deal will get over the line or it won’t.

‘Mahrez is one of the options, not the only one. It’s true that this could be the last offer, we’re evaluating other options.’

Arsenal are thought to be in the market for another attacker before the closure of the summer transfer window, though Monaco’s Thomas Lemar is believed to be Arsene Wenger’s first choice.

Still, links with Mahrez are is ongoing, with the 26-year-old likely to be the Gunners’ second choice if a deal for Lemar falls through, which looks increasingly likely amid reports of Monaco rejecting another bid from the north Londoners.

Speaking earlier this summer, Mahrez said: ‘Out of the huge admiration and respect I hold for Leicester City Football Club I wanted to be totally honest and transparent with them and have therefore informed the club that I feel now is the time for me to move on’.