‘Happy To Be A Gunner Now’ – New Signing Proclaim

CSKA Moscow’s Aleksandr Golovin has admitted Arsenal’s interest pleases him as any player would want to play in Europe.

 “Of course, I will be pleased that such a club [Arsenal] is interested in me,” he told Sport Express, reports the Metro.

“In my opinion, every football player, regardless of their age, wants to play in Europe – I’m not an exception.”

A classically vague, diplomatic answer. He wouldn’t mind a move but isn’t going to hold out for a deal.

CSKA general director Roman Babaey confirmed last month that although Arsenal are yet make an offer for the 21-year-old, they have sent scouts out to monitor him.

“No, CSKA did not receive an offer from Arsenal,” Babaev said.

“I admit that the London club’s scouts viewed Alekandr [during the] Confederations Cup. He was one of the best parts of our team.”

The Gunners are said to be willing to cough up £10m for the central midfielder. His contract is still valid for another four years, however, so they could be bidding their time and waiting for his valuation to come down.

Arsenal fans first became familiar with Golovin’s name back in June when his agent confirmed that Arsene Wenger had made an unofficial approach. The boss allegedly contacted Sandor Varga, the former agent of ex-Arsenal player Oleg Luzhny, to make enquiries about the Russia international.

Last season, the 21-year-old played 37 games for CSKA Moscow, found the net three times and provided four assists.

Golovin has been at the Russian club since 2012 when he was just 16 and rose through the ranks.