Arsenal and United Announce swap deal after work permit sorted

Alexis Sanchez will finally complete his much-desired switch to Manchester United once the player updates his work permit.

After the completion of his medicals at Carrington on Sunday ahead of his transfer, the clubs are just holding on for a new work permit before they can announce the signing of their new No. 7.

The delay in the deal has forced the Chile international to leave Manchester in order to fill in paperwork so that the move can come through.

As well as Sanchez updating his work permit, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, who is coming down to North London, also has to do likewise before he can officially join the Gunners.

However, given their status in world football, the work permits will be a formality and will not hold up the deals any longer.

Sanchez was pictured in a United shirt last night and both deals are expected to be announced in the coming hours.

Following Sanchez’s move to Old Trafford, former player Robert Pires claimed in an interview with Chilean publication La Tercera that the ex-Barcelona man wanted to actually retain his position at the Emirates.

“If United wants him and is willing to spend a lot of money, good for him,” said Pires.

“But for me, Alexis wanted to stay at Arsenal. I have not talked to him, but what I see, what I smell, is that he was very good in London, very good in Arsenal.

“What Alexis wanted was for Arsenal to spend money on other players.”